Suggest the following Snacks Recipes : Sausage – Studded Corn Bread
Corn bread was a staple at our table when I was growing up in the South. Today, I still use my family’s recipe to turn out this quick bread, but often mix in new ingredients. Diced andouille sausage, sauteed and then sprinkled into the batter, is a favorite variation. Bits of Spanish chorizo make an equally tempting addition. Both versions make fine partners to scrambled, poached, or pan-fried eggs.
Sausage – Stuffed Corn bread well suited to Eggs Benedict with New Orleans Accents
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus 4 tsp
6 oz/330 g andouille sausage or Spanish
chorizo (Use Spanish-style chorizo in casing, not loose
Mexican-style chorizo), cut into
3/4 cup/180 ml buttermilk
1 cup/140 g yellow cornmeal
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
- Arrange a rack at center position and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F/230 degrees C/gas 8.
- Heat the 2 tbsp vegetable oil until hot in a 9-in/23-cm ovenproof frying pan (preferably a well-seasoned cast-iron one) set over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and sautй until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- When the frying pan is cool enough to handle, wipe it out with paper towels. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and set it over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes just to heat the oil. Remove the frying pan from the heat and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and buttermilk in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Pour the oil from the frying pan into the batter, and mix well. Pour the batter into the frying pan, and sprinkle the cooked sausage evenly over it.
- Bake the corn bread until it is golden on top and firm to the touch, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and run a sharp knife around the edge of the corn bread to loosen it. Invert the pan and turn out the bread onto a rack to cool for about 5 minutes. (The corn bread can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Leave at room temperature. Wrap corn bread in foil and reheat in a preheated 350-degree-F/ 180-degree-C/gas-4 oven for about 10 minutes.)
Our Sausage – Studded Corn Bread is ready. Bon Appetit!
Become a cook with us!
Back to Snacks Recipes
by BETTY ROSBOTTOM