Next Snacks Recipes : Poached Eggs, Asparagus, and Chorizo.
Poached eggs set atop a mound of sleek asparagus spears, garnished with crispy bits of Spanish chorizo and toasted bread crumbs, make a simple yet impressive morning entre. The sausage and bread crumbs contrast with the tender asparagus as well as with the soft eggs with their runny, sauce-like yolks.
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup/30 g coarse fresh bread crumbs
(To make bread crumbs, use a 1- to 2-day-old
good-quality peasant or country bread with
crusts removed. Process large chunks of it in
a food processor to make coarse crumbs. Sourdough
bread works particularly well.)
4 oz/115 g Spanish chorizo cut into Ѕ-in/
12-mm cubes (use the Spanish-style chorizo
in casing, not loose Mexican-style chorizo)
1 1/4 lb/680 g medium asparagus
1 tbsp unsalted butter, diced
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 to 3 tbsp white or cider vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil until hot in a medium, heavy frying pan set over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, tossing constantly, until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the crumbs to a plate. (Crumbs can be prepared 1 hour ahead; cover and leave at room temperature.)
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil in the same frying pan set over medium heat. When hot, add the chorizo and stir until lightly browned, 3 minutes. Remove and set aside. (Chorizo can be prepared 1 hour ahead; leave at room temperature.)
- Trim and discard 2 to 3 in/5 to 7.5 cm of the tough bases of the aparagus spears. Add the asparagus and 1 tsp salt to a large frying pan filled halfway with simmering water. Cook until the spears are just tender, 4 minutes. Drain and toss the asparagus in a large bowl with the butter and lemon juice. Season with salt and cover with foil.
- Bring a large frying pan filled halfway with water to a boil. Add the vinegar and gently break each egg into a saucer and slide it into the water. Swirl the water with a wooden spoon while the eggs are cooking. Cook until the eggs are just set but the yolks are still soft, 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well. (If you have an egg poacher, cook according to the manufacturer’s directions until the eggs are set.)
- Mound some asparagus spears on each of four dinner plates. Top each serving with a poached egg and sprinkle with the chorizo and bread crumbs. Season the eggs with several grinds of pepper and a pinch of salt and serve.
Our Sausage – Studded Corn Bread is ready. Bon Appetit!
Become a cook with us!
Back to Snacks Recipes
by BETTY ROSBOTTOM