Sweet dishes : Classic Lemon Tart
Preparation Time 30 minutes, plus chilling • Cooking Time 50 minutes, plus cooling • Cuts into 8 slices •
Per Slice 385 calories, 23g fat (of which 13g saturates), 42g carbohydrate, 0.2g salt • Easy
butter to grease
plain flour to dust
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry (Look below), made with 150g (5oz) plain flour, 75g (3oz) unsalted butter,
50g (2oz) icing sugar and 2 large egg yolks
peach slices and fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed, to decorate
icing sugar to dust
FOR THE FILLING
1 large egg, plus 4 large yolks
150g (5oz) caster sugar
grated zest of 4 lemons
150ml (¼ pint) freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 medium lemons)
150ml (¼ pint) double cream
- Grease and flour a 23cm (9in), 2.5cm (1in) deep, loose-based flan tin. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured worksurface into a circle – if the pastry sticks to the surface, gently ease a palette knife under it to loosen. Line the tin with the pastry and trim the excess. Prick the base all over with a fork. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan oven) mark 5. Put the tin on a baking sheet and bake the pastry case blind (see page 236). Remove from the oven, leaving the flan tin on the baking sheet. Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C (150°C fan oven) mark 3.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, put the whole egg, egg yolks and caster sugar into a bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon or balloon whisk until smooth. Carefully stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and cream. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Ladle three-quarters of the filling into the pastry case, position the baking sheet on the oven shelf and ladle in the remainder. Bake for 25–30 minutes until the filling bounces back when touched lightly in the centre. Cool for 15 minutes to serve warm, or cool completely and chill. Decorate with peaches and raspberries and dust with icing sugar.
Remember that ovens vary, so check the tart after 15 minutes of cooking. Turn round if cooking unevenly, otherwise the eggs might curdle.
To make 125g (4oz) pastry, you will need:
125g (4oz) plain flour, a pinch of salt, 50g (2oz) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, 1 medium egg yolk.
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and add the butter. Using your fingertips or a pastry cutter, rub or cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Using a fork, mix in the egg yolk and 1½ tsp water until the mixture holds together; add a little more water if necessary.
3. Gather the dough in your hands and knead lightly. Form into a ball, wrap tightly in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes before using. (This ‘relaxes’ the pastry and prevents shrinkage when it is baked.)
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
Make as for shortcrust pastry (left), adding 50g (2oz) caster sugar and 2 medium egg yolks at step 2.
Our Classic Lemon Tart is ready. Bon Appetit!
Become a cook with us!
Back to Sweet dishes